What is Nevada’s Senate Bill 287?
Senate Bill 287 brings three major changes to Nevada’s Public Record laws. But what are the changes and what does your Public Record process need to include to ensure compliance and for maximum ease?
Limits the amount government agencies are allowed to charge for public records – requiring digital copies are provided whenever possible.
- Preemptively communicate a work cost estimate to the requester before the request is filled.
- Electronically track ‘time spent’ completing a request.
- Digitally produce invoices and gather payments electronically.
- House previously released documents in a ‘public facing Library’ to eliminate or save time on duplicate requests.
Adds penalties up to $250,000 for withholding public records.
- A centralized location to intake and distribute requests.
- A secure way to electronically transfer information across agencies and departments.
- Email notifications/system reminders of request due dates to re-enforce accountability.
- Automated workflows to ensure the proper individuals are notified with incoming requests.
- Redaction options for a quick identification of PIIs and pre-set rationales for redacted materials.
- Activity log to track when individuals receive, interact with, and respond to any submitted record request.
Requires agencies to assist requesters in understanding their ask before denying their request based on a technicality.
- Track a single request through the process involving multiple individuals or departments.
- Communicate with requeters if a request is unable to be filled, needs clarification or an extension is needed.
- Quickly determine if an email was unsuccessfully delivered.
How will Nevada’s Senate Bill 287 impact my organization/agency?
If the court determines a public record request was purposefully and wrongly denied:
A monetary penalty is issued for no less than $1,000 and no more than $250,000 per offense. Penalties can be issued to:
- The agency.
- The individual denying the request on behalf of the government agency.
- Or both.
Let GovQA’s customizable Exchange Platform assist in this process. Request a Demo.